With the growing public interest in food and nutrition and its role in preventing and managing chronic diseases and obesity, the demand for Dietitians and Nutritionists is expected to increase. PNDS Registered Dietitian/Nutritionists are qualified food and nutrition experts who have met specific criteria to earn RDN credentials.
How to become a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist??
Below is an overview of the requirements to become a PNDS Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist.
Eligibility Criteria :
1) Completing an accredited university level degree program
2) Completed basic Internship/Training requirement
3) Pass the Registration Exam
1. Completing an accredited program
To be eligible to become a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist you must complete a university-level dietetics program accredited by PNDS. All accredited dietetics programs are considered “entry-level” to the profession. Completed a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Nutrition and Dietetics: 4-year-BS (Human Nutrition) OR MSc (4-year) Home Economics with specialization in Foods & Nutrition.(Please note that there are numerous nutrition study programs available at that are not eligible for accreditation with PNDS. Completing such a program will not provide you with eligibility to become PNDS accredited Dietitian/Nutritionist)
2. Completed basic Internship or Training requirement
To become a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist you must complete at a supervised practice/training/internship at health-care facility, community agency or any other institute/ organization during or after studies.
Clinical Dietitians: At least 6 months practice in a clinical setting.
Public Health Nutritionists: At least 6 months practice in a public health setting or teaching foods & nutrition in a post-secondary teaching Institute.
3. Registration Exam
Based on the guidelines provided by the Pakistan Accreditation of Nutrition and Dietetic Professionals (PANAP), PNDS has developed a registration exam to certify practicing dietitians and nutritionists.The Exam is held every year. Applicants not fulfilling the specified degree criteria may be eligible if they can provide satisfactory evidence that they have acquired all the required competencies through degree/non-degree courses or on the job training. Such cases will be decided by the PNDS Registration Committee.Those who pass the Exam are certified as PNDS Registered Nutritionist/Dietitian for a period of two years.For more information click here http://rdn.pnds.org/become-and-rdn/rd-renewal/
Renewal of Registration:
- Registration needs to be renewed every two years. Completed continuing professional educational requirements to maintain registration. Renewal of registration is contingent on meeting of the Continuing Nutrition Education/Professional Development criteria of 15 credit hours/2 years. At least 8 credit hours from these have to be from PNDS activities. All educational sessions of PNDS are allotted credit hours by the Registration Committee. If a member seeks to claim credit for a non-PNDS activity they have to submit an outline describing the nature of the session, the conducting authority and proof of attendance.For more information click here http://rdn.pnds.org/renewal-of-rdn-certification/