GHAZALA PERVEZ ZAMAN
FORMER HOD OF NUTRITION DEPARTMENT. CHE LAHORE
- MSC (Home Economics) in 1976.
- Diploma in Hospital Dietetics from Allama Iqbal Open University (AIOU) in 1996.
- Residency program in Clinical Nutrition (accredited by Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations) from USA in 2000.
- Graduate Course in Nutrition Counseling & Education Methods from Iowa State University (ISU) in 2003.
ABOUT ME, MY FAMILY & MY HOME/CITY:
She was born in Lahore. She did her schooling at Sacred Heart and Convent of Jesus & Mary in Lahore and St. Mary High School Multan and her college was College of Home Economics Lahore.
Her childhood was a wonderful period spent in the relaxed and protected environment provided by her parents. She was known for my cheerful personality and uncontrollable giggles.
Her parents gave her the confidence to participate and excel in academics and co-curricular activities. Teaching has been her passion and her story revolves around her profession as a teacher. She is very lucky and blessed to have a husband who has supported and encouraged her to pursueher professional ambitions. Her children have played an instrumental part in helping her to overcome the challenges posed by the latest trends in Information and Communication Technology (ICT). Her family has played a vital role in my success and achievements. She love to spend time with my family and especially the grandchildren
LAUNCHING OF THE LAHORE CHAPTER OF PNDS AND
MY APPOINTMENT AS ITS INCHARGE
- She started her career as a lecturer. Later, she was also appointed as Director of Post Graduate Diploma in Dietetics (PGDD) CHE collaboration with IOWA State University in 2006. She retired as a Head of Department (HOD) and presently She is a visiting professor at University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences (UVAS), Lahore.
- In her career, she found working as a research supervisor a very challenging job and she have really enjoyed it. Research projects thesis and case studies have enhanced her vision and reinforced her belief that teachers and students are partners in learning.
- My biggest achievement in life is the success of my students who are already placed at important positions in Pakistan and all over the world.
My children are my pride, not only because of their academic excellence but also because of the value of hard work and honesty deep-rooted in them.
WITH HER SON AT HIS GRADUATION CEREMONY AT HARVARD UNIVERSITY
- Attended several conferences in the US.
- Two-day program for improvement of university instruction through Center for Teaching Excellence.
- National Research Initiative Regional Research Conference “Linking Agriculture, Food Systems, Communities, and Population Health“
- Seminar offered by ISU Dietetics Programs for perceptors on working with dietetic interns
- Organized and participated various conferences all over Pakistan.
- Professional affiliation with several educational and medical institutions
Every time she have travelled to any part of the world she has always desired that teaching as a profession should be given the same respect as in other parts of the world. She is fortunate that her commitment and dedication to her work have been rewarded with respect and trust from her students.
- Travelled to many places in Asia, Europe, Far East, and Middle East, USA.
- Favorite area: Northern areas of Pakistan as they are just as beautiful as Switzerland! They belong to us.
WITH FAMILY AT THE TRIP TO SCOTLAND
GOALS & AMBITIONS:
- The mission of my teaching has always been “ Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education” (Martin Luther King)
- All my learning has been with an aim to enhance my knowledge as a teacher. Completing the graduate course from ISU in Nutrition Counseling & Education Methods successfully (GPA 4) was an important step towards this goal.
FAVORITE QUOTE/ INSPIRATION IN LIFE:
- Success on any major scale requires you to accept responsibility. In the final analysis; one quality that all successful people have is the ability to take on responsibility”
LESSONS LEARNED & KEY MESSAGE FOR AUDIENCE!
- Loss of two brothers at a very young age has been the biggest setbacks in my life. Bouncing back is hard but it is essential to remain steadfast and focused and come out stronger ahead.
- Message to all especially younger members of PNDS is that “Be honest to your profession”. “Age is no barrier to learning-learning never ends”.