WHO IS A DIETITIAN?
A person with qualifications (BS,MSC,MS) & advanced training in nutrition and dietetics from the universities* Recognized by PNDS
- The dietitian applies the science of nutrition to the feeding and education of groups of people and individuals in health and disease.
- Dietitians are health professionals who study and apply the principals of nutrition food management.
- The scope of dietetic practice is such that dietitians may work in a variety of settings and have a variety of work functions like supervise preparation and service of food, develop modified diets, enteral & parenteral nutrition, participate in research, and educate individuals and groups on good nutritional habits.
A person with basic qualifications (BSC) and training in nutrition & dietetics (from the *universities recognized by PNDS), who works in a variety of settings supervised by a qualified nutritionist/Dietitian.
WHO IS A NUTRITIONIST?
A person with a post graduate degree ( MSc, MS, PhD) in nutrition. The function of a nutritionist is to elicit, integrate, disseminate and apply scientific knowledge drawn from the relevant sciences, to promote an understanding of the effects of nutrition, and to enhance the impact of food on health and well-being of people.
- Counsel individuals and groups on nutritional practices designed to promote health and prevent disease.
- Teach nutrition to those training to be nutritionists or dietitians as well as other health professionals.
- Work with media to educate the public regarding the role of nutrition in health promotion and disease prevention
- Conduct basic or applied nutrition research as the primary investigator or as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Work with the government in developing policies related to nutrition.
- Work with the food industry to develop nutritionally sound products and advertisements for their products.
NUTRITION WORKER: A person with an undergraduate degree with training in nutrition. A Nutrition worker may do the following tasks under the guidance of a nutritionist. May work as a data collector/ editor in research projects.
- Provide basic nutrition education to mothers in the community regarding maternal and child nutrition.
- Assess nutritional status of persons using anthropometry.
- Obtain dietary information from persons using methods devised by the nutritionist.
EDUCATION OF DIETITIANS
- Dietetics education minimum is a bachelor degree from a recognized educational institution.
- Dietetics education includes a practicum program.
- Dietitian complete their professional education in another country
- 5 education institutions in Pakistan offer a recognized dietetics education program leading to professional qualification
WHERE DIETITIANS AND NUTRITIONIST CAN WORK?
Settings where dietitians services are most commonly employed (may be employees or consultants in priPrivate practice):
- Community health centers
- Doctor’s office or medical clinic
- Hospitals (all types including military)
- Public health agencies
- Government department (health/social services)
Food and Agriculture:
- Food service / hospitality or association
- Food producer, food manufacturing company or association
- Military food service
- Government departments (food / agriculture)
Other common settings for employment of Dietitians’ services:
- Advocacy association in the health field (e.g. Diabetes Association, Celiac Association, health professional asssociation)
- Academic or research organization (e.g. University, college, institute)
- Pharmaceutical company or association